We're headed to Volcano Country!
Rob, Grant, and I are ready for the next new adventure in our lives! Rob will be attending medical school in Yakima, Washington, so that means we get to pack up and head north in June! We are so excited for the upcoming change and ready for the new attractions to see!
I have done some research about Yakima, and despite some people's opinions, there IS a lot to do in the Yakima Valley. Let's be honest, most places are much more happening than Payson, UT where everyone lives for Onion Days!
So, here's our list of things and places we want to see while we live in Washington (aka our mini tour brochure of the Yakima Valley!)
- For you cliff note people (like me!) just pay attention the the bold type! :)
In Yakima and surrounding cities:
- Floating down the Yakima River
- Yakima Canyon: wildlife viewing, fishing, camping, and river rafting
- Plenty of farms to get some canning done (asparagus, eggplant,berries, pumpkins, and all other kinds of fruits and veggies
- Yakima Greenway: A 10 mile paved path along the Yakima River. Great for running, biking, rollerblading, etc. There are parks, lakes, and playgrounds along the way.
- Historic North Front St: Along the boardwalk of Track 29 there are fun shops in railroads cars to browse!
- Hop on an Airplane at the Yakima Airport to go visit TN!!!
- Fly Fishing: Ask Rob...there's too many to list :)
- Golfing
- Great white water rafting in September
- Capitol Theatre: If you in a mood for a broadway play this is the place to go!
- Meadowbrook Family Fun Center : I don't really know what this is but sounds fun!
- Hillside Desert Botanical Garden: I don't know about his one either, but sounds interesting!
- Home of the minor leauge baseball team the Yakima Bears
- Yakima Valley also as the 13 miles of yard sales in Klickitat County (June 14-15)
- U-pick Cherries: Many farms offer thier produce for you to come pick free of charge! So get a canning! See http://www.johnsonorchardfruit.com/ for some cherries (june 20th) Washington cherries are my favorite!!
- Don't miss the Yakima Valley Fair (Aug 6-9) and the Pear Fest (Sept. 20th)
- During July and August a family movie is played outside in park on a big blow up screen each Sunday night.
- And of course you can't miss eating at the the famous Miner Burger!
- Also, i must mention that there is a Target and Costco in the area (plus a mall or two and a craft warehouse!)
- In Ellensburg (Central Washington University) there is the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute where the longest running reasearch on 3 ASL Chimps are.
- In Selah: Go see where Tree Top Apple Juice is made!
- In Prosser: We won't miss the Scottish Festival (June 21st)
- In Sunnyside: You can visit the Darigold Cheese/Ice cream Factory! YUM!
- In Toppenish: Also known as the city of murals (most buildings are covered in amazing murals..very cool!) Also, at Christmas time they provide train rides to the "North Pole" to get your picture taken with Santa! We are for sure going to visit this one with Grant!
- And of course it is wine country, so if you like wine there is plenty of that to taste!
In about an hour you can get to:
- White Pass and Chinkook Pass: Great places for skiing (White Pass only), biking, hiking, fishing, and wildlife viewing.
- Richland: To see our family and all the cool fairs/festivals down at the river!
- Levenworth: A really cool "city in the Alps" barvarian town! A must see!
- Mt. Rainier: We will hike/climb it!!
- Other Volcanos (I'm still gathering more info)
In about 2 hours you can get to:
- Seattle: Zoo, Aquarium, Space Needle, Science Center, Fisherman's Warf, and all the other cool Seattle stuff!
If you know of any more attractions/events, or if I need to make corrections, let us know! We'd love to hear from you!
-k






7 comments:
Kathy - OH the places you'll go and people you'll meet. Washington is splendid. I think Yakima will be a grand adventure for you guys ... I can't wait for the BIG MOVE to happen :) Love, Wendy
I'm so excited for you 3. Kathy, this is the cutest list. I love that you do your research. I need to do some on Spokane...I guess I've never really thought about all the things to do there. Oh, I'm super jealous you are going to be near a Craft Warehouse.
Washington is a wonderful place!! I went to high school in the Tacoma area and there will be a lot for you to do!! I have been to Yakima for HS things, but hadn't really been there for other things. I am sure you'll have a blast!!! Good luck with all the preperations for the big move!
Michelle
Congratulations you two! What an exciting step to be making in your lives! A change of scenery is always nice!
I have to say though, that while I may be biased, Payson and the surrounding area has a lot to offer as well! You just have to go find it. Payson Canyon for one holds many exciting discoveries. ;)
Good luck in Yakima, we'll miss you!
Congrats, you guys! You have a beautiful family! Eric is from Washington and loves it there! Best of luck with medical school!
Congrats on medical school and YAKIMA! Sounds like a great place!
Congrats on med school. That will be a fun adventure. My cousin's used to live in Yakima and they loved it. I'm excited for you to have a fun adventure, sounds like you'll have plenty to do!
About that triathalon, I don't know if I could do that. For one thing I don't have a bike, well there is a unicycle and a tandem bike in the garage, but i don't know how that would work AND I'm too weak sauce for the swim and bike. I am trying to get in shape to do a half marathon soon, but I haven't signed up for one yet.
Post a Comment